Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thing #1 - Setting up a blog

On the technical side, I was surprised at how easy it is to set up a blog ... although maybe it should have been self-evident considering how many blogs are out there nowadays. The most time consuming part was definitely making the Yahoo avatar. I suppose that could have gone more swiftly, but I was having fun "trying on" all of the different looks. After successfully adding the first element, all of the others went swiftly. The only ripple I had was in adding sitemeter and that was just because I couldn't see it on the blog I had already pulled up on another browser. Refreshing the screen fixed that problem just fine.

On the philosophical side, I can see why this appeals to young people. They can create their image of themselves complete with idealized portrait, lists of favorite things, personal philosophy and put it out for the world to see. I don't think it's chance that all of the avatar face/body choices look like they are about 16. What I find myself asking is does anyone read these blogs? Or, more specifically, why read a stranger's blog? I'm doing this blog as part of a continuing education experience, so I expect that my readers will be others participating in the program and perhaps a few friends. How does a random blog get readers who don't know the author regularly following their posts? Perhaps those readers have more time than I do to browse a stranger's thoughts.

Practically, I would recommend to anyone setting up a blog to establish a list of site identities and passwords in a safe place. I already had a yahoo account personally (though not an avatar), but different sites we've used even in "thing one" have different requirements for ID and passwords .

No comments: